Sewing Bras: Foam, Lace & Beyond
Discover how to make a lace bra with custom coverage and supportive style alongside Fairy Bra Mother and sewing expert Beverly Johnson. With Sewing Bras Foam Lace Beyond Taught by Beverly V Johnson Craftsy, you will use your favorite bra pattern and begin by learning how to add lace to cups, bridges and partial- or full-band bras. Love the support of foam cups? Beverly will show you how to use cut-and-sew foam for versatile styles, shapes and sizes. You’ll see how to modify your pattern to make room for the foam and get step-by-step guidance for creating a balconette and demi-cup bra. If a seamless cup is what you seek, you’ll discover how to choose, fit and place pre-formed foam cups in your bras. Plus, you’ll even get tips for covering your cups with wrinkle-free fabric and lace.
Sewing Bras: Foam, Lace & Beyond
Banish boring bras from your wardrobe! Elevate your skills as you learn techniques for adding style and support with lovely lace, flattering foam cups and more. Learn with Sewing Bras Foam Lace Beyond Taught by Beverly V Johnson Craftsy.
see Overview | see FAQs | see Info |
Lesson 1. Lace Edging on the Upper Cup | 21:19
Meet Beverly Johnson, fairy bra-mother and sewing expert, and get started with techniques for adding beautiful lace edging to bras, working with your own well-fitting bra pattern. You’ll learn to mirror and place lace, create a curved lace edge, and make stitch-and-flip linings for lace cups.
Lesson 2. Lace on Band & Bridge | 21:26
Add lace to bra bridges and bands for luxurious feminine looks. Beverly begins by teaching how to use a scalloped- edge lace on a partial- or full-band bra, then position lace on the outsides of bra cups.
Lesson 3. Cut & Sew Foam Cups | 30:29
If you’d like to add comfortable, supportive foam cups to your bra-making skills, follow Beverly’s tips and techniques for using cut-and-sew foam to create cups that fit and flatter. You’ll learn to modify your pattern, then construct and cover the foam.
Lesson 4. Demi & Balconette Cups with Cut & Sew Foam | 24:44
Cut-and-sew foam cups are perfect for two fashionable bra styles: the balconette and the demi-cup. Discover how to draft patterns for style changes and add beautiful lace that is darted but not seamed for graceful shaping.
Lesson 5. Pre-Formed Foam Cups | 22:00
Bras with pre-formed foam cups are a favorite of many women, and now you can learn to use these cups in your bras. You’ll learn the types of foam cups and how to fit them, along with the nuances of correct cup orientation. Finally, Beverly will help you modify your bra pattern to accept foam cups.
Lesson 6. Seamless Covers for Pre-Formed Foam Cups | 27:33
You’ll want to cover those pre-formed foam cups with fabric for a lovely appearance. Learn about the right fabrics to choose, how to stretch the fabric over the cup without wrinkles, and finish the edges to complete your unique and original foam-cup bra.
What materials are used in this class?
- Standard findings needed to complete a bra: bottom and top band elastics, channeling, strap elastics, sliders & rings, neckline trim if used, hook & eye, bow
- Lace edging, 5″ to 10″ (12.7 to 25.4 cm) wide, nonstretch
- Lining for non-stretch lace, (15 denier or sheer cup lining)
- Lace edging, stretch, 5″ to 10″ (12.7 to 25.4 cm) wide
- Lining for stretch lace (15 denier, or stretch mesh or other lining fabric with stretch)
- Glue stick suitable for fabric, such as UHU glue
- Cut & Sew (C&S) foam (also called poly-laminate foam sheeting or pre-finished padding)
- Fabric to cover cups, such as stretchy knit or stable knit
- Fold-over binding (optional)
- Pre-formed foam cups in your size and correct shape for your project
- Stretch fabric such as stretch mesh, netting, very stretchy tricot or microfibers
- French curve or other designer’s curve ruler
- Hand-sewing needles
- Stretch sewing machine needles, size 75/11 (for stretchy fabrics)
- Wash-away marker
When does the class start?
Whenever you’re ready! The lessons are available online any time, and your access to the class never expires.
How long is the class available to me?
As long as you need! Your access never expires, so you can come back again and again.
What if I have questions?
Ask your questions in Craftsy’s online classroom and you’ll receive instructor feedback. Your fellow students are also likely to jump in and offer advice from their experiences.